Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare launched a Scheme on 29th October 2020, titled “SERB-POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research)”, designed exclusively for women scientists
It is a scheme to mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research funding in various S&T programs in Indian academic institutions and R&D laboratories
SERB-POWER Fellowships and Grants will also serve as a benchmark of recognition in the national scenario.These Schemes of the Government will definitely empower women scientists and cultivate women friendly culture in our academic and research institutions and ensure more women in leadership positions in decision making bodies.
SERB – POWER Scheme will have two components namely
- SERB-POWER Fellowship
- (ii) SERB- POWER Research Grants.
The salient features of each of these are as follows:
- Salient features of the SERB-POWER Fellowship:-
- a) Target: Women researchers in 35-55 years of age. Up-to 25 Fellowships per year and not more than 75 at any point in time.
- b) Components of support: Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income; Research grant of Rs. 10 lakh per annum; and Overhead of Rs. 90,000/- per annum.
c). Duration: Three years, without the possibility of extension. Once in a career.
- Salient features of the SERB – POWER Research Grants:
○ It will ensure funding to undertake highly impactful research across all disciplines of Science & Technology.
○ Under it, women researchers will be funded under two categories.
- i) Level one includes women scientists from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, central universities, and national labs of the Central government institutions. They will be eligible for funding up to Rs 60 lakhs for three years.
- ii) Level two will comprise scientists and researchers from state universities/ colleges and private academics. They will be eligible for funding up to 30 lakhs for three years.
The new Science Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP) 2020 will also emphasise on encouraging women scientists.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
- SERB is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology DST, Government of India, established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009 (SERB ACT, 2008).
- The Board is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Science and Technology is a body under the Department of Science and Technology