- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Jan Samarth portal, a repository of a dozen credit-linked government schemes.
- The Prime Minister urged bank chiefs to make it easier for people to get loans through the new portal. He said the new portal would make life easier for farmers, students and entrepreneurs as they could assess which scheme worked best for them, on that platform instead of visiting various websites.
- As of now, 12 credit schemes that granted credit from banks were on the portal, to ensure that citizens need not answer the same questions whenever they applied for schemes.
About the Portal
- Jan Samarth Portal is a one-stop digital portal linking government credit schemes. It is a first of its kind platform which directly connects beneficiaries to lenders.
- The main purpose of the portal is to encourage inclusive growth and development of various sectors by guiding and providing them with the right type of government benefits through simple and easy digital processes.
- The ministry responsible for implementation will be Ministry of Finance.
The portal ensures end-to-end coverage of all the linked schemes.