|Paper||Title of the Paper||Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||Essay writing||250 Marks|
|Paper 2||General Studies–I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Marks|
|Paper 3||General Studies –II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Marks|
|Paper 4||General Studies –III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|Paper 5||General Studies –IV (Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Paper 6||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Paper 7||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 Marks|
|Sub Total in the written Test||1750 Marks|
|Personal Interview||275 Marks|
|Grand Total ( for merit calculation)||2025 Marks|
- The total marks of the Mains Examination are 1750 marks.
- Each question will carry 5 marks.
- Candidates will be graded on basics of opinion, Content flow, understanding the problems/ situation, offering feasible solutions/strategies, presentation, and language
- Candidates can choose two optional papers on which they will be questioned.
List of Optional Subjects
|List of Optional Subjects in IAS Mains|
|Geography||History||Political Science & International Relations|
|Commerce & Accountancy||Economics||Management|
|Public Administration||Sociology||Electrical Engineering|
|Animal Husbandry& Veterinary Science||Botany||Civil Engineering|
IAS Exam Pattern for Personality Test
- All candidates qualifying the Mains examination will proceed towards the Personality Test.
- This would include the Psychometric Test, Assessment Test as well as the Personal Interview.
- The objective of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a Board of competent and unbiased observers. He will be asked questions on matters of general interest.
- The test is intended to judge the mental caliber of a candidate.
- In broad terms, this is really an assessment of not only his intellectual qualities but also social traits and his interest in current affairs.
- Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity.
- This test will be conducted in the language of choice.
- The interview will be graded for 275 marks. The total marks of IAS is 2025 marks
- Candidates will be ranked on basis of the grand total and called for the final interview.