• In UPSC Prelims examination there area unit a pair of required papers particularly the General Ability Test (GAT) and therefore the Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT) to check the analytical skills of the candidates.
• Each paper is of two hundred marks and carries a complete of four hundred marks.
• The papers are set objective and multiple selection.
• One-third of the marks is subtracted for each wrong answer.
• Duration of every paper is a pair of hours.
• Blind candidates are allowed twenty minutes extra for every paper.
• The IAS Question Papers are set in each Hindi and English.
IAS 2019 examination Pattern for UPSC Mains
• There area unit total seven papers within the IAS Mains examination as per the IAS examination Pattern.
• Each of the seven papers is of 250 marks.
• There area unit 2 nonmandatory papers that the candidates would have to be compelled to choose.
• Paper A relies on essay writing and Paper B includes numerous topics divided into seven subjects.
• For paper A, candidate must select one in every of the Indian Language that’s enclosed within the eighth Schedule of the Constitution.
• While Paper B is of English. Papers A and B of the Indian Language and English, severally, area unit of admission or equivalent common place.
Both the papers area unit of qualifying nature. The marks obtained within the qualifying papers don’t seem to be counted within the formation of IAS benefit List. The queries in UPSC Mains examination area unit set to check a candidate’s general awareness of a spread of subjects, that have connexion for a career in Civil Services. The scope of the IAS curriculum for non-mandatory subject papers (Paper VI and Paper VII) for the examination is broad of the honors degree level. within the case of Engineering, life science and law, the extent corresponds to the bachelors’ degree.