Global Centre for cyber security
- announced by World economic forum (WEF).
- Will serve as a global body to facilitate a safe and secure Global cyberspace offering protection against data thefts.
- World economic forum is an international body headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland though Davos holds the annual meetings.
- WEF aims at improving the state of the World.
- WEF is an International Organisation for Public-Private partnership established in
- Releases :
- Global Risks report.
- Global Competitiveness Index.
- Global Gender Gap Report.
- Human Capital Report.
Making of WEF :
- Professor Klaus Schwab founded in 1970s what was originally called the European Management Forum, as a non-profit foundation based in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It drew business leaders from Europe, and beyond, to Davos for an Annual Meeting each January.
- Initially, Professor Schwab focused the meetings on how European firms could catch up with US management practices.
- Events in 1973, namely the collapse of the Bretton Woods fixed exchange rate mechanism and the Arab-Israeli War, saw the Annual Meeting expand its focus from management to economic and social issues. Political leaders were invited for the first time to Davos in January 1974.
- European Management Forum was the first non-governmental institution to initiate a partnership with China’s economic development commissions
- publication of the Global Competitiveness Report in 1979 saw the organization expand to become a knowledge hub as well.
- In 1987, the European Management Forum became the World Economic Forum and sought to broaden its vision to include providing a platform for dialogue.
- Annual Meeting milestones include:
- Davos Declaration signed in 1988 by Greece and Turkey, which saw them turn back from the brink of war.
- In 1989, North and South Korea held their first ministerial-level meetings in Davos
- East German Prime Minister and German Chancellor met to discuss German reunification.
- In 1992, South African President de Klerk met Nelson Mandela, first joint appearance outside South Africa.
- In 2015, the Forum was formally recognised as an international organization.
- The Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution u/d WEF in San Francisco is a hub for global, multistakeholder cooperation to develop policy frameworks and advance collaborations that accelerate the benefits of science and technology.
- aims to accelerate cross-sector cooperation for Fourth Industrial Revolution governance.
- In 2018, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave the plenary speech becoming the first head of state from India to deliver the inaugural keynote for the annual meet at Davos.
In 2007, the WEF foundation established the Annual Meeting of the New Champions (also called Summer Davos), held annually in China.